Estonian Tawny Owl Webcam 2019

Tawny Owls and all the others
Shanta

Re: Estonian Tawny Owl Webcam 2019

Post by Shanta »

Maggy
thank you for your words! XOXO

To upload the video in this awful situation I find unfair to the little owlet fighting for survival. I will do it later for the documentation.
What is the best to wish for the owlet in this terrible situation, I don't know ... only a miracle can help now.
There is food and little owlet is not able to eat enough on its own :cry: , I can not watch anymore
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

Shanta, I was thinking about you. I am glad you showed up. Please don't worry about the video, I cannot even think about it at the moment, it's still too much going on. And I was thinking that for you it probably would be better not to watch any of it.
Today, after I was able to get myself together, I started sending love to the owlet. What else can we do? I'm sending love to this sweet, helpless owlet and to everybody who loves him.
After the season is totally over we'll see what we'll need.
Take care of yourself! xoxo
Maggy

Post by Maggy »

8:17
LAST MINUTES of the owlet, DON'T READ it if you are not up to it
8:24 looks like the owlet is sleeping, making no sounds
8:25 he is making head movements as if he cannot keep it straight anymore.
8:27 he is doing a movement as if he is trying to swallow something
8:28 he lies down
there is a sound of a bird doing something on the top of the box
8:29 more head movements
8:30 the body "falls down", he is stretching a leg
a starling comes to say good bye, getting a head into the window
8:35 the owlet is lifting wings as if he is trying to get up
dropping wings
godapeleda

Post by godapeleda »

For the sake of human kind, I hope it is not human who made mother owl not to come back to her owlets. Amen
Rauntz

Post by Rauntz »

8:36 last movement ... this is the end unfortunately
asteria

Post by asteria »

It is my personal opinion, and maybe I think so alone, but I can't keep silence: a crime has just been committed: cruelty to animals, failure to provide assistance and leaving in danger. The hunters kill a bird immediately, and those who left the owlets to die from hunger are even worse, because the owls have suffered longer. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Bärbelbär

Post by Bärbelbär »

asteria wrote: May 21st, 2019, 9:22 am It is my personal opinion, and maybe I think so alone, but I can't keep silence: a crime has just been committed: cruelty to animals, failure to provide assistance and leaving in danger. The hunters kill a bird immediately, and those who left the owlets to die from hunger are even worse, because the owls have suffered longer. :cry:

I agree that animal welfare should be fully valid. But just in the cases with the cameras where we have the potential to help, it should be done as well. For many nests, we do not know it. In our case, the parents clearly did not come back. Only humans could have helped here. Seeing the little owls die breaks my heart. They do not deserve that. This is torment that could have been prevented. Yes, many will say, then do not look at this. That's true. But one always hopes and looks to see if help has come or a miracle has happened. Everyone thinks differently about it. But that's my opinion, regardless of the work Urmas and his colleagues are doing. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Der Mensch braucht die Natur, die Natur den Menschen nicht. Der Mensch ist Teil der Natur, er ist ihr nicht übergeordnet. Erst wenn er das begreift, hat er eine Überlebenschance.
© Richard Freiherr von Weizsäcker
Hyacinth

Post by Hyacinth »

What has happened here is that we have observed some birds dying. We have observed this only because the nest happens to have a webcam. Birds die in nests all over the world, birds that do not have a webcam on them so we don't know about them and haven't become emotionally invested in their well-being.

However, this is just Nature doing what Nature does. The Tawny Owl is not an endangered species, and I do not believe there is an obligation to intervene. They are not our pets for whom we are responsible-- they are wild animals that we merely observe.

Ornithologists learn from the observations made by people who watch these webcams. There is benefit in having the cameras, even if the outcome in every season is not always what we would wish.

I have to admit of all the cameras I watch, I most enjoy watching ospreys, partly because there seems to be lower mortality among the osprey babies.
ivj

Post by ivj »

So sad! I am speechless ... it is heartbreaking!

What I don't understand, Looduskalender wrote:
"Location of the nestbox is not far from human settlements, so it is normal to hear sounds from passing cars, tractors, lawn mower and even human voices."

When the nestbox is so close to human settlements why couldn't anyone save the animals? Yes, it is nature, but if we have the opportunity, we should save life.
Bärbelbär

Post by Bärbelbär »

RIP little owl. Now the pain is over and you feel better. In the next life you and your siblings will become beautiful and strong owls. I'm absolutely sure with this.
Der Mensch braucht die Natur, die Natur den Menschen nicht. Der Mensch ist Teil der Natur, er ist ihr nicht übergeordnet. Erst wenn er das begreift, hat er eine Überlebenschance.
Felicitas

Post by Felicitas »

Only some questions: If one of you would find a little bird alone, what would you do? At first watch, if there were parents who feed the little bird. If you wouldn't see parents for more than an hour, what would you do? Say "it's nature" and go away?
Bärbelbär

Post by Bärbelbär »

ivj wrote: May 21st, 2019, 10:36 am So sad! I am speechless ... it is heartbreaking!

What I don't understand, Looduskalender wrote:
"Location of the nestbox is not far from human settlements, so it is normal to hear sounds from passing cars, tractors, lawn mower and even human voices."

When the nestbox is so close to human settlements why couldn't anyone save the animals? Yes, it is nature, but if we have the opportunity, we should save life.

I think so too. If man could help, he should do it! This is worth every living thing. Unfortunately, the animals only play a minor role in this society. :cry:
Bärbelbär

Post by Bärbelbär »

Bärbelbär wrote: May 21st, 2019, 10:57 am I think so too. If man could help, he should do it! This is worth every living thing. Unfortunately, the animals only play a minor role in this society. :cry:
When people around the world are in need, the screaming is great everywhere - there should be always and everyone helped. (And man is not threatened with extinction). Why can not the animals be helped equally? (google Translater!)
Majarina

Post by Majarina »

:cry: I think like asteria, Bärbelbär and ivj. It is so awful :cry:

You had no chance to grow up and fly into the world. Now rest in peace, sweet little owls :cry:
Majarina

Post by Majarina »

This is a completely different case, but here people intervened because:
"Since an adult bird alone is not able to master the breeding and rearing business successfully, the eggs were taken from the nest and are now in the incubator of the NABU Species Protection Center in Leiferde"

https://www.nabuzentrum-leiferde.de/201 ... evakuiert/
Eliaygee

Post by Eliaygee »

Thank you, Maggy.
You deserve to have good rest now, last days were too hard and sad.
Carla

Post by Carla »

dear maggy and others. thank you very much for al the reports and pictures in time I could nog look at the cam. it was so nice to see them and now it ends so sad :(
nobody want this but it can happen...we know....
lets hope for a better next year...
bey everybody!!
carla
Timea

Post by Timea »

Good day all!

SAD, although expected, last Owlet died.
Try not to look for someone to blame, we ALL are to blame for how we choose to live, not leaving enough space to nature!!!!
Carla

Post by Carla »

well temea..I try to do everything for nature...so do my children...but is is not enough I am afraid.... :)
sova

Post by sova »

My special thanks go to Maggy
Also a big thank you to all who accompanied the owls till the end.

Return to “Estonian Owl Webcam Forum”