Total votes: 113

juta
Site Admin

Name poll for black storklets 716A and 716O

Post by juta »

Every member has 2 votes. Please vote one for name with A and one with O
You have 5 days

Aru (no gender) “intelect”
Ambur (no gender) “old-timey word for 'archer', also used for the constellation of Sagittarius in modern times”
Aiki (unisex)
Aare (mostly male but rarely female) "treasure"
Aule (unisex)
Andekas (unisex) “talented”
Oja (no gender) “brook”
Oru (no gender), I think it is from “org - dell”
Oras (no gender), “'leaf blade', more specifically used for grain seedlings sprouted in spring time”
Oivi (unisex)
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
aita

Post by aita »

:hi:
I have a proposal for the COMING YEARS.
We put names only for parents in the nest.

In each nest, the chicks get a nickname long before ringing and then the rings.
This year has been offered: only ring letters and also nicknames.

For me personally, the name suggestions procedure has become too weird and annoying.
All topics together.
Biker

Post by Biker »

Thanks, Juta.
*Please don't feed the trolls!*
Rita

Post by Rita »

aita: I fully agree with you.

What's the point in giving a name for the chicks when 4 weeks or so later the birds migrate and we will never
see them again?
visit

Post by visit »

it makes sense to be able to identify the chicken and that is (in most cases) only permanent clear after ringing :)

i don't mind very much if they have a name or not because they find a way to my heart anyway - they are no pets, they are wild animals and a good identification is for me more important than Asterix and Obelix :D
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

Rita wrote: July 21st, 2019, 1:11 pm aita: I fully agree with you.

What's the point in giving a name for the chicks when 4 weeks or so later the birds migrate and we will never
see them again?
:wave: They have transmitters and we will follow their migration on birdmap, hopefully for several years
Biker

Post by Biker »

:puzzled:
11:38 - What's the point, of expressing a refusal opinion of the whole procedure during/inside the vote? -
12:59 - or in the meanwhile a refusal of the whole tradition of name giving? :unsure:

my proposal: who wants to join in, votes - and who does not want to, not.
*Please don't feed the trolls!*
aita

Post by aita »

Biker wrote: July 21st, 2019, 2:05 pm :puzzled:
11:38 - What's the point, of expressing a refusal opinion of the whole procedure during/inside the vote? -
12:59 - or in the meanwhile a refusal of the whole tradition of name giving? :unsure:

my proposal: who wants to join in, votes - and who does not want to, not.
aita wrote: July 21st, 2019, 11:03 am :hi:
I have a proposal for the COMING YEARS.
We put names only for parents in the nest.

In each nest, the chicks get a nickname long before ringing and then the rings.
This year has been offered: only ring letters and also nicknames.

For me personally, the name suggestions procedure has become too weird and annoying.
All topics together.
is it really necessary, beloved chick, to give a name.
which is inappropriate or obscene in any language.
ELSEWHERE IS A TOPIC ALREADY LOCKED.
Edit
So we have time to get used to the idea.
Is that a good idea or a bad idea.
visit

Post by visit »

aita wrote:In each nest, the chicks get a nickname long before ringing and then the rings.
really in each nest ?
i've seen several nests, where they are/were looking for names after the ringing.

(btw: if a text is not wanted to be read by others it's better not to write - or if a text is wanted to be read by others, it makes sense, to write it just bigger ;)
aita wrote:is it really necessary, beloved chick, to give a name.
which is inappropriate or obscene in any language.
ELSEWHERE IS A TOPIC ALREADY LOCKED.
may be it is not necessary but it can be a nice habit or ritual to give a name.
i trust the admins, that the names are not obscene.
and which names seem to be appropriate or not is probably very dependant of the personal opinion of each of us.
i think it shouldn't be so difficult to accept that there must be somebody or a few persons (admins) who defines some conditions and i'm convinced that this item was already discussed very often before.
everybody had the possibility to suggest names and with the poll you have the possibility to choose your favorite name - so why is it such a little "disaster" ?
- be happy, that the chicken are healthy ! :)
aita

Post by aita »

:cry: :banghead: :blush: :puzzled:
Treia

Post by Treia »

:wave:
Thank you Juta for the name-list!
Great list (though none of my own is not included),
although on the other hand, it had been nice,
if both birds had the same number of names,
6 names, or 5 names. But just fine this way!
The main thing now is that they will now have names,
and their names in the BirdMaps migration-list!

Have a nice voting week everyone! :D
Lubaska

Post by Lubaska »

juta wrote: July 21st, 2019, 8:47 am Every member has 2 votes. Please vote one for name with A and one with O
You have 5 days
Great poll, Jutta! :wave:

The BEST one I had seen on looduskalender so far. Without any influence of moderators who often try to push ahead their fav names as "more experienced and credible" persons.
Please, do these name polls for all Estonian species here on looduskalender in future, Juta! :dunno: Really!

Ad 2

I am one who is happy when babies in the nest get their rings so I can easier tell them apart. I am able to exist with or without names for them. But if there should be a name, so I prefer voting poll like this one. Great. Anonymous. When everybody sees all names and chooses those most beautiful for him personally.
Jo UK
Site Admin

Post by Jo UK »

Lubaska wrote: July 21st, 2019, 4:11 pm Great poll, Jutta! :wave:

Please, do these name polls for all Estonian species here on looduskalender in future, Juta! :dunno: Really!

if there should be a name, so I prefer voting poll like this one. Great. Anonymous. When everybody sees all names and chooses those most beautiful for him personally.
I agree!
Juta had a difficult task with this list of names but she sailed through it.
In the previous software that this forum used, the poll function did not - function! Now that we can use polls again it is so much easier to see how many votes there are for each name.
juta
Site Admin

Post by juta »

I think, we should have another topic for discussion if to give names or not.

Look at the birdmap:http://birdmap.5dvision.ee/EN/ Most of the birds have names and most of the names are given not by our forum but by ornitologists. This tradition began before we started. Of course, for official data numbers of the rings are priority. I think that as Aita suggested in the future we may discuss if to give names only to parents and not to young birds. I personally think that birds with transmitters must have names and lets talk about "just" ringed birds next year.

As Jo said, the poll function didn´t work previously but Felis silvestris discovered that now it was working and we use it now. This wasn´t my favor but thanks for good words!
Many good names were left out because we don´t know the gender of our storklets.
And please, don´t take it so seriously. I think giving names and voting is quite fun!
Proud member of SHoW (StorkaHolics of the World)
Anne7

Post by Anne7 »

Many thanks for organising this name poll, Juta! :wave:
“Clearly, animals know more than we think, and think a great deal more than we know.”
— Irene Pepperberg
aquiline

Post by aquiline »

Juta, many thanks for your work concerning this poll. Choosing names certainly was not easy.

As I wrote elsewhere, me too I think that it is not really necessary to give names to birds which we will never see again. Moreover since it is not easy to find fitting names. For the time in the nest "Smallie, Middle, Big" may be sufficient.

But in case of our storklets who will carry transmitters hopefully for many years it is absolutely important to give them names. We will accompany them during their whole life and so we cannot call them only by their ring numbers.
Poliff

Post by Poliff »

aquiline wrote: July 21st, 2019, 11:09 pm Juta, many thanks for your work concerning this poll. Choosing names certainly was not easy.

As I wrote elsewhere, me too think that it is not really necessary to give names to birds which we will never see again. Moreover since it is not easy to find fitting names. For the time in the nest "Smallie, Middle, Big" may be sufficient.

But in case of our storklets who will carry transmitters hopefully for many years it is absolutely important to give them names. We will accompany them during their whole life and so we cannot call them only by their ring numbers.
Absolutely agree. Sounds like a terrible choice of names to me. But overall, I don't care.
Smile, you're being filmed by a hidden camera!
Titi

Post by Titi »

Aru and Oivi
Hellem

Post by Hellem »

Titi wrote: July 24th, 2019, 2:18 pmAru and Oivi
:wave: Name poll is in the 1st post of this topic
visit

Post by visit »

if the result is fifty:fifty between Oru and Oivi, how would it be, to make a poll only between these name, so that the other 14 (who have voted other names) can join ?

Return to “Black Stork Camera Forum”