Our hunters honour a hunting truce at Christmas for the 26th time.
Why is it important to have a hunting truce period?
· hunters values this as a vital and deeply ethical part of hunting. The hunting truce does not originate from the law: it is an tradition agreed on by hunters. Several societries keep it for longer.
Why is the hunting truce important?
· The hunting truce during the Christmas holidays is important for nature as well as forhumans. It is an ideal time to reflect on the relations between yourself and nature and to take the time and discuss the most important events of the ending year.
· With this the hunter honours wildlife and the biodiversity of of nature. With time much has changed in hunting but the respectful attitude to one’s prey has remained. In addition we have large predators in
· The hunting truce is a tradition that preserves nature and the Estonian hunter is the keeper of this. The upholding of nature derives from a respectful attitude to the surrounding nature. A very important part here is a uniform and sustainable game husbandry..
· The holidays are a good time for hunters to clarify the importance of hunting, the survival of wildlife and their behaviour to those who do not often come in touch with nature. It helps to better understand hunting as a hobby and a way of life and its role in contemporary society.
. During the hunting truce you can go into the forest with your family and friends to enjoy the beauty of Estonian nature. Maybe you will also catch some beautiful image of forest life.
Tõnis Korts, CEO of Estonian Hunters Society